I've noticed that a few other Stack Exchange sites have introduced a periodic (monthly/weekly/etc.) topic challenge as a way of encouraging questions on a particular interesting topic. Here are some posts from the network:
- An example of a topic challenge on Literature.SE
- Sample meta post from Gardening.SE explaining the mechanics
- Another meta post detailing Literature.SE's mechanics
I think that Latin.SE has a lot of excellent users with expert knowledge, but I can't help thinking that:
- With one notable exception (2 Socratic gold badges!), we have a relatively low question count
- Increasing the amount of high-quality questions in our site is the best way to increase its exposure and, hopefully, expert user base
Do other users on this site think that this is a good idea? If so, how do you envision it working for our site? A monthly challenge on something specific, e.g. the Catilinarian orations, the underworld in classical epics, the Roman legal system, could potentially spark a lot of interesting discussion in addition to our normal traffic.